Deaf couple beaten, duct taped during home invasion

Deaf couple beaten, duct taped during home invasion
Published: Jul. 19, 2016 at 2:33 PM CDT|Updated: Jul. 19, 2016 at 10:19 PM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn
Charles Gayles Jr. (Source: OBPD)
Charles Gayles Jr. (Source: OBPD)
Jeffrey Richardson (Source: OBPD)
Jeffrey Richardson (Source: OBPD)
Charlontae Smith (Source: OBPD)
Charlontae Smith (Source: OBPD)

OLIVE BRANCH, MS (WMC) - Three men have been arrested for breaking into an Olive Branch home and injuring the people living in the home.

Olive Branch Police Department said Charles Gayles Jr., 19, Charlontae Smith, 16, and Jeffrey Richardson, 20, were arrested and charged in the home invasion.

Each is being held in jail on a $1 million bond.

Neighbors in Olive Branch are shaken up after the older couple was tied up and robbed, but they said what bothers them most is this is the second time.

Investigators said they arrived at the home on Miranda Drive on Monday night and found a 68-year-old woman bound with duct tape and a 78-year-old man suffering from severe head injuries.

DeSoto County Sheriff's Department, Southaven Police Department, and Memphis Police Department all worked together to locate the three men they believe to be involved in the crime. Investigators found Gayles hiding in the attic of the home. They found Smith and Richardson a few doors down from the crime scene. All three are charged with home invasion, aggravated assault, and attempted murder.

"It just seems real strange that they hit them twice," one neighbor said.

Some are questioning if the couple were targeted because they were deaf.

"I can't imagine how she felt and not being able to hear what's going on in the other room," one neighbor said. "They put it across her mouth. She can't even talk."

Both victims had to be taken to Regional Medical Center. The woman sustained minor injuries, but the man, who suffered more serious injuries, is still being treated at the hospital. The woman's husband is still in a lot of pain in his head and his face remain swollen.

Investigators said they recovered jewelry, firearms, and other items taken from the home when they arrested the suspects.

"They weren't even over last week's ordeal yet when this happened," a neighbor said.

Three men broke into the couple's home July 10, but the man was able to get a weapon and chase the intruders off. After that incident, the couple began taking precautions.

"They had their lights on this time, but they [suspects] came to the back door," a neighbor said.

Neighbors said now it is time they come together to keep this from happening again.

Gayles, Smith, and Richardson are due in court July 21.

Copyright 2016 WMC Action News 5. All rights reserved.