Jerry 'The King' Lawler, fiancee arrested after dispute

Jerry 'The King' Lawler, fiancee arrested after dispute
Published: Jun. 17, 2016 at 8:26 AM CDT|Updated: Jun. 17, 2016 at 8:39 PM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

MEMPHIS, TN (WMC) - Wrestling legend Jerry "The King" Lawler was arrested and accused of domestic assault.

Friday morning, Memphis Police Department put him and his fiancée in jail. Lawler has since been released.

Lawler spoke to WMC Action News 5 from the jailhouse via telephone. Click here to listen to that conversation.

It's a case of he said, she said where both Lawler and his fiancée, Lauryn McBride, ended up as victim and suspect.

McBride, 27, has lived with Lawler, 66, for five years. She said they both got into an argument, and it turned violent.

She said Lawler held her against the kitchen counter, hit her in the head, pushed her against the stove, put a gun on the kitchen counter, and told her to "go ahead and kill yourself."

Lawler said he came back from a wrestling event ironically labeled, "A Night in the Slammer" to find his fiancée drunk following a party where she and her friends watched Game 6 of the NBA Finals.

"When she drinks, we get into a little bit of a shouting match and then she wants to leave," Lawler said over the phone from the jailhouse. "I was not going to let her leave in the car, because she was not in any condition to drive. She got more and more upset."

Lawler told police McBride scratched him in the face, threw a candle at him, and kicked him in the groin. He said she was drunk when she told him she knew where the gun was and threatened to kill herself.

"The police came and they do their job, you know, when something like that is, you know, a situation like that, they say they've gotta take you down for a--they officially call it a 'cooling off period.'"

On the phone, Lawler was more reserved about what happened.

"It's just an unfortunate situation. Nobody was hit and nobody was hurt. It's just something that happened as a result of drinking too much," Lawler said.

Memphis police officers said they were unable to determine if Lawler or McBride was the primary aggressor in the case, so they arrested both McBride and Lawler.

"We're going to be in court on Monday morning and it'll all come out that it was basically a misunderstanding that got out of hand," Lawler said.

WWE released a statement on its website saying, "WWE has zero tolerance for matters involving domestic violence, and per our policy, Jerry Lawler has been suspended indefinitely following his arrest."

"Hopefully, when they realize and the whole story comes out and things will be OK," Lawler said. "Hopefully then the indefinite suspension will be lifted. That's what I'm hoping for."

Lawler said he and Lauryn are fine now and are still planning on getting married.

"It's an unfortunate situation as a result of someone drinking too much. I'm saddened by it and hope we can get past this," Lawler said when asked to give a message to his fans learning about the arrests.

Copyright 2016 WMC Action News 5. All rights reserved.