Man died of LSD toxicity after leaving Widespread Panic concert
SOUTHAVEN, MS (WMC) - The Mississippi State Medical Examiner's Office determined the 30-year-old man who died after leaving a Widespread Panic concert in Southaven, Miss. did so from LSD toxicity.
Troy Goode's death was ruled an accident.
According to the medical examiner's report, Goode became unresponsive in the emergency room after being taken into custody following the concert on July 18. Police officers arrested him for "acting erratically" and witnesses confirm that Goode was tied up to keep him under control.
Goode died in the hospital.
During the autopsy, the medical examiner noted "superficial abrasions and contusions" and puncture wounds consistent with a K9 bite. The toxicology report revealed LSD and marijuana in Goode's system.
"Based on the autopsy findings and current investigational information, this 30-year-old male died as a result of complications of LSD toxicity."
When asked why Goode was restrained the way he was, a Southaven police spokesperson said, "It is normal protocol and procedure to use the restraint that is deemed necessary to stop an individual from continuing to hurt himself or herself or to protect medical personnel while they treat them."
The attorney for Goode's family is concerned why an independent autopsy came back with different results.
"Nothing in the findings of this are inconsistent from that, only the conclusion defeats the findings," said attorney Kevin McCormick. "How did they go from positional problems and asphyxiation and jump to LSD toxicity? That's an extremely difficult jump to make."
The original toxicology reports showed Goode had less than half the minimum threshold of a toxic LSD dose in his system.
"It would be the first known overdose since LSD came around," McCormick said.
McCormick had an independent autopsy done. That report found Goode died as a result of being hogtied for an hour and eventually led to heart failure in the emergency room.
McCormick said the new report gives no reason as to what complications from LSD caused his death.
"Dying from a hogtie position is common," McCormick said. "All of the findings are consistent with suffocation and they aren't consistent with LSD toxicity."
Southaven police could not comment on the autopsy due to the investigation still being open, but Mayor Darren Musselwhite said the results are consistent with the city's initial understanding of the facts.
Copyright 2015 WMC Action News 5. All rights reserved.