Dog pulled from hot car dies

Published: Jul. 29, 2015 at 9:02 PM CDT|Updated: Jul. 30, 2015 at 8:30 AM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

MEMPHIS, TN (WMC) - A dog died after he was freed from a hot car at Wolfchase Galleria Wednesday afternoon.

"We just came out of the mall and there were a bunch of people crowded around the car," Michele Horne said.

Horne and her friends, Madison Ford and James Harwood, realized a small white dog was lying motionless on the floorboard of a locked car in the parking lot of the mall.

"You could tell it was on the verge of death," Ford added. "Its tongue was sticking out."

When the teenagers found the dog, the temperature outside was 99 degrees with a heat index of 112. Temperatures inside a car in those conditions can reach up to 130 or 140 degrees.

The young group acted quickly, unlocking the car by putting their arm through one of the slightly opened windows and getting the dog out.

They then put the dog in their car and headed towards the Bartlett Animal Shelter.

"It was on my lap on the way," Harwood said. "I was trying to give it water, but it just wouldn't move at all. It was just choking"

The group said the dog started having seizures on the way.

"It died 10 minutes before we got there," Harwood added. "They said when we got there, its body temperature was 110 degrees even 10 minutes after it had died."

The man and woman who owned the dog told police they left a cup of water in the car for the animal. They also said they didn't realize the temperatures were too high.

No charges have been filed at this point. The case is still under investigation.

Copyright 2015 WMC Action News 5. All rights reserved.