Three children die in early morning house fire

Published: Dec. 27, 2014 at 7:44 PM CST|Updated: Dec. 28, 2014 at 2:29 PM CST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

BYHALIA, MS (WMC) - Three children are dead and family members are in shock after an early morning house fire in Byhalia, Mississippi.

The fire happened in the 900 block of French Street. At the house, toys that belonged to the children were still strewn about Saturday afternoon.

Relatives say they still can't believe the children are gone.

"It's just a tragedy," said the children's grandmother Annette Tate. "I woke up; I heard my two-year-old back there hollering."

Tate said the fire that killed her three grandchildren was devastating. All three of the children live with her.

Around 1:30 a.m., a fire sparked inside their home. When it started, Tate was in a bedroom with the 8-month-old girl, and the two boys were in another room.

"So when I went down the hall to try to get him, so much smoke was coming out of the ceiling in the room he was in," Tate recalled. "I couldn't even reach him, couldn't even get in there."

Tate said she rushed through the house to get her phones, and then went out on the porch to call for help.

"By the time I turned around, the whole building had flamed up full of fire, full of fire," said Tate. "Fire was everywhere. We couldn't even get back into the house."

With the front of the house in flames, Tate's brother, who lives across the street, tried to get in through a back door to save the children.

"Furthest he got was the living room 'cause the fire had gotten quicker than the smoke so there wasn't anything we could do," explained Tate.

Hours later, you could still see the charred house and burned vehicles in the yard. Some family members took pictures as they returned to the spot where the children died.

The family is leaning on their faith to see them through this tragedy.

"I mean, God is in control, he got a reason for everything, so things happen," said Tate. "God is a good God."

Family members say funeral arrangements are incomplete.  A GoFundMe account has been set up to help the family.  In one day, $1,200 was donated by Sunday morning.  You can help by clicking here.

Copyright 2014 WMC Action News 5. All rights reserved.