Fire inside Southaven Kroger ‘resolved quickly,’ officials say

Fire at Kroger in Southaven
Fire at Kroger in Southaven(Daisy Murray)
Published: Aug. 16, 2022 at 5:57 PM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

SOUTHAVEN, Miss. (WMC) - A fire broke out in the meat section of a Kroger in Southaven on Tuesday afternoon.

The fire occurred at the location at the intersection of Goodman and Getwell Roads.

Casie Healy, a Kroger customer, was shopping when the incident occurred. Healy described what she witnessed in a Facebook message thread.

“As I was checking out, a man over the intercom asked intently for a manager to come to the meat market,” Healy recalled.

“I was checking out with my items and noticed a smell, but didn’t say anything,” she said. “And I overheard another customer saying there was a fire in the meat department.”

“As I was walking out, I heard an announcement that EVERYONE needed to evacuate the building,” she added. “It was repeated a few times, and I let two elderly women know as they were walking in with their baskets chatting with one another and not hearing the announcement on what was happening.”

In response to this incident, Kroger Spokesperson Sheleah Harris issued a statement saying that there were no evacuations during or after the fire.

“At Kroger we value the safety of our customers and associates. Today, we experienced a small fire due to an electrical shortage from one of our cases. There were no injuries, evacuations or store closure. The matter has been resolved quickly with support from the fire department.”

The Southaven Fire Department has yet to respond about this incident.

Copyright 2022 WMC. All rights reserved.

Click here to sign up for our newsletter!

Click here to report a spelling or grammar error. Please include the headline.